Loading... Please wait...

Our Newsletter


ARC FLASH INCIDENTS

Electrical Fatalities

10/14/11 Visions Telecommunications, Pinch, WV

Worker installing cable between utility poles was electrocuted.

10/13/11 Grove River Mills, Inc., Monroe, GA

Worker operating a truck's boom was electrocuted when the boom touched a 14,400-volt power line.

10/12/11 L & D Sign, Centreville, MN

Worker repairing commercial sign was electrocuted after touching live electrical parts.

9/29/11 Integral Bldrs LLC, Dewitt, MI

Worker building an addition on a barn was electrocuted after touching a 4,800-volt powerline.

9/27/11 Monroe Drywall Construction, Panama City, FL

Worker installing drywall was electrocuted when he touched a 480-volt wire.

9/20/11 Morrow Meadows Corp., Los Angeles, CA

Worker was electrocuted while installing new wires.

9/20/11 Gedek Trailer, Indianapolis, IN 46201

Worker was possibly electrocuted after being found with small electrical burns on hip.

9/19/11 Furrer Construction Inc., Woodland, WA

Worker pressure washing exterior of silo was electrocuted after contacting a high voltage line.

9/13/11 Austin Maintenance & Construction, Inc. Augusta, GA

Worker testing a wiring system was electrocuted when he touched energized parts carrying nearly 14,000 volts.

10/10/10 Arc Flash Fatality

A 42 year- old contract electrician with four years of experience died from an arc flash explosion while installing ground fault indicator lights in a circuit breaker enclosure. The victim received third-degree burns to 55 percent of his body according to the Oklahoma City hospital, Integris Health. Arc Flash accidents contribute to the 350 deaths per year from electrical incidents.

See MSHA report

08/31/10 Arc Flash Fatality

An electrical worker for the Anderson Columbia Co. was doing electrical work in Crystal River, Florida and was exposed to an arc flash incident which resulted in death. This highlights the lethal potential of an arc flash. Anderson Columbia Co., located in Lake City, Florida, was ranked top 400 construction firms in the Engineering New Record.

http://www.osha.gov/dep/fatcat/fatcat_weekly_rpt_09252010.html

04/30/2010 Three Employees Are Burned By Transformer Arc Flash

On April 30, 2010, four employees of the Jamestown Board Public Utility (BPU) were assigned to replace a transformer. All four employees reported to the Allen Street Substation to replace the transformer. Employees #1, #2, and #3 remained on site to complete the work, and the fourth employee was sent to get parts and supplies. The employees were wearing FR (apparently flame resistant) clothing and tested lineman gloves. At approximately 9:38 a.m., the job was completed, and the transformer was reenergized with a hot stick. When the transformer was reenergized, it flashed and burned Employees #1, #2, and #3. Two of the employees were transported to Erie County Medical Center (ECMC) via a "StarLife" (apparently Starflight) helicopter. The third employee was transported to ECMC via ground ambulance. All three employees were hospitalized.

 
http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/accidentsearch.accident_detail?id=201881299

Follow up news of accident

BPU Employee In Stable Condition After Thursday Accident

Employees Set Up Fund For Injured Workers

 

02/01/2010 Employee Is Burned By Arc Flash


Employee #1, an electrician working for Lehigh Southwest Cement Company, was working on a MCC panel. It had 480 volts and three phase energized buss bars behind a steel back plate. Employee #1 had two screwdrivers and a pair of wire cutters sitting on the tray at the bottom of the panel. One of the screwdrivers began to roll, and he went to secure it. However, the end of the screwdriver went under a narrow slot at the bottom of the back plate. It contacted the 480 volts buss bar, resulting in an arc flash. The arc flash contacted his right hand between his thumb and index finger. He was transported to the local hospital for burn treatment and then flown to the UC Davis Burn Center, where he was hospitalized for two nights.

 
http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/accidentsearch.accident_detail?id=201510690

 

01/27/2010 Employee Is Burned By Arc Flash


At approximately 8:00 a.m. on January 27, 2010, Employee #1, an electrician and the sole owner of an electrical and air conditioning service contractor, was replacing a circuit breaker to restore power to a transformer. He had performed this type of work on numerous occasions and did not believe that it was necessary to turn off the electrical power to the circuit breaker. Employee #1 removed the cover of the electrical panel containing the circuit breaker to be replaced. A piece of metal approximately six in. long fell into the energized electrical panel, causing a short circuit. An arc flash occurred and Employee #1's long sleeve cotton shirt ignited. Coworkers heard the explosion and came to his aid, but they did not witness the accident. He was hospitalized at Los Angeles County/ USC Medical Center for second- and third-degree burns to his arms, hands, chest and face, which required numerous skin grafts.

 
http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/accidentsearch.accident_detail?id=202455960

01/26/2010 Employee Is Burned By Arc Flash


On January 26, 2010, Employee #1 was installing breakers in an energized, three-phase main distribution panel (800 amp, 480V) when an arc flash occurred. He sustained first- and second-degree burns on his left arm, left upper back, left flank, right thigh, and right knee. Employee #1 was transported to Northeast Medical Center, and then transferred to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center's burn unit. Employee #1 was wearing unspecified arc flash PPE at the time of the incident.
http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/accidentsearch.accident_detail?id=202080347

10/31/2009 Employee Is Injured By Arc Flash, Later Dies


On October 31, 2009, an electrician was attempting to remove a panel box and was injured by an arc flash. He died from his injuries on December 26, 2009.
http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/accidentsearch.accident_detail?id=201283223

01/05/2010 Arc Flash Accident Hospitalizes Two Electricians


On January 5, 2010, two electricians employed by Six Flags Magic Mountain were doing preventive maintenance on the electrical panels that operate the Roaring Rapids Ride at Six Flags amusement park. One worker took the initiative to lockout a panel, which he assumed would deenergize another main panel. After removing the panel cover, his screwdriver got too close to the buss bars. There was an arc flash, and both workers received second- and third-degree burns to their face, arms and hands. The two electricians were hospitalized.
http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/accidentsearch.accident_detail?id=202468732




Powered By:
Network Louisville.com (NetLou.com)
Making websites easy and affordable!
502-569-WEBS (9327)